Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

( II ) Amor Platonicus

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." - Homer, Greek Poet

Love. It has many forms. When one thinks of love, you would be excused of first thinking of 'Love' simply as that romantic (often one-sided) feeling of longing and desire for another human being. However, in this post I wanted to focus on a very particular love that (I think) many of us take for granted. It's neither familial (in the strictest sense) nor is it erotic. I am writing, of course, of Platonic love.

Call it bromance, friendship, call it whatever the hell you like; over the course of your life I am sure that amongst the myriad of so-called friends you have made that there are a few (or even many) that stand out. Friends that are your whole world. Friends that have given you precious memories to last a lifetime. Friends you'll never forget, even if you may not see them for awhile. Friends you love. Hell, you may love them because they're the only friend you've got!

This post is not meant to be filled with metaphors, or any charming anecdotes or poetry. It isn't here to define the attributes of platonic love. Realistically, everyone is different. We fall in (true) romantic love for our own reasons, off our own (conscious and subconscious) criteria. Our reasons for loving a friend are unique to us, as are the feelings this love evokes . Ultimately, I want everyone who reads this post to stop. Stop and think about the friends in your life. I am confident that there is at least one friend who might as well be your flesh and blood. The fabled brother from another mother, perhaps? Stop and think about why you care so much for them. Most importantly, NEVER STOP being thankful for having this person in your life. Never take them for granted, and always remember the old adage a good friend is hard to find. Or, if dirty jokes are more your thing: A good friend is hard to come by. Hehehe... 'come'.

For example: I am presently overseas, and in my physical detachment from Brisbane have spent a lot of time thinking (a dangerous habit, to be sure). Thinking about my lot in life and the people in it. I'm a bit of an extreme: I end up loving quite a few of my friends (...eventually), and with good reason.

I love the rare few of my friends who warmed to my strange, eclectic and loud personality from the second we met and have never grown tired of me. I love the people that truly get to know me and understand how my silly mind works. I am just as thankful for the people that never bother to try and understand me, but just accept me into their lives as I am.

Finally, there is a very special place in my heart for my friends that met me when I was at my worst. People that initially disliked me, or people that just felt no compulsion to want to be my friend. For these people to have not only to have consciously given me another chance to get to know them, but to have abandoned their past prejudices and become my friend... these people truly mean the world to me.

I'm going to end this post in much the same way I began it; with a quote.

"I love you guys!" - Me, hopefully You


No comments:

Post a Comment